Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hubby's birthday Cupcakes


As i mentioned in my other posts, my life has done a compete turnaround, in the past year. I have gotten Married, given birth to a beautiful little girl and moved to Australia. Well i cannot really say i have moved yet. With my stuff somewhere in the middle of the ocean on a little boat, life does not yet resemble anything normal.

So this post is about my gorgeous husbands birthday (today), with all my baking equipment floating around between SA and here i am currently unable to make the lovely little creations that i enjoy so much. But its my Love's birthday and he needs something to take to work. I do not believe in going to a store and buying a cake or treat for the people i love, if i can make it myself.

I also have to add that since i have moved here i have not made or sold a single cake, cupcake or treat (stuff floating around and all) , so i saw this as an opportunity to introduce myself and my little labours of love. Since i had no equipment for decorating i decided to go for BIG taste.

Most adults don't really like cake (or most men) so i had to create something that both men and woman would enjoy. Thus i made orange and dark chocolate cupcakes with butter cream icing, smothered in real dark chocolate.


To do this i used my normal chocolate chip cupcake recipe. (Please contact me if you would like a copy of it ).
Instead of using milk, i  squeezed the juice from 1 and a half oranges into a jug, then filled it with water to make up the 250ml liquid required. I also added 2 table spoons of orange zest (grated Orange peel)  into the mixture, i recommend using the fine side of the grater, this makes the pieces nice and small, so you don't end up chewing on them .



Once they had baked and cooled, i added a dollop of butter cream icing and drizzled it with melted chocolate.
I add a tsp of olive oil to the melting chocolate so that it does not go rock hard on the cupcake.
Then i decorated it with some of the orange zest just for colour.
I used bitter chocolate in my recipe, with the sweet icing, i feel that sweet milk chocolate would just be too much. But you can always use which ever you like.


Well my hubby just left for work and i told him he better have 3 orders for me when he gets home LOL. Lets hope they love them and that the orders start coming in. I am getting rather bored doing nothing all day.

Hope you have a fantastic day and a stunning weekend.

Lots of hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment